Our 3-step submission process
Before you submit
Now you’ve identified a journal to submit to, there are a few things you should be familiar with before you submit.
- Make sure you are submitting to the most suitable journal - Aims and scope
- Understand the costs and funding options - Fees and funding
- Make sure your manuscript is accurate and readable - Language editing services
- Understand the copyright agreement - Copyright
Ready to submit
To give your manuscript the best chance of publication, follow these policies and formatting guidelines.
- General formatting rules for all article types - Preparing your manuscript
- Make sure your submission is complete - Prepare supporting information
- Copyright and license agreement - Conditions of publication
- Read and agree to our Editorial Policies - Editorial policies
Submit and promote
After acceptance, we provide support so your article gains maximum impact in the scientific community and beyond.
Please note that manuscript can only be submitted by an author of the manuscript and may not be submitted by a third party.
- Who decides whether my work will be accepted? - Peer-review policy
- Want to submit to a different journal? - Manuscript transfers
- Spreading the word - Promoting your publication
Annual Journal Metrics
2.562 - 2-year Impact Factor (2021)
3.021 - 5-year Impact Factor (2021)
1.318 - SNIP (Source Normalized Impact per Paper)
0.669 - SJR (SCImago Journal Rank)
47 days to first decision for all manuscripts (Median)
58 days to first decision for reviewed manuscripts only (Median)
5,579,625 downloads (2022)
4,426 Altmetric mentions (2021)
Transparency and Openess
TOP Factor Score - 8
The following summary describes the peer review process for this journal:
Identity transparency: Single anonymized
Reviewer interacts with: Editor
Review information published: Review reports. Reviewer Identities reviewer opt in. Author/reviewer communication
Research Data Helpdesk
Authors can receive free advice on how and where to share their research data, according to their specific research community from a team of research data editors.