- Tell me about your arthritis pain. Can you remember the first time you knee/hip started to hurt? Can you describe what your pain feels like?|
- How have you managed pain related to your arthritis?
- How has your arthritis pain impacted your life?
- To what extent do you feel you are able to control your arthritis pain?
- What do you do when you experience pain? Why?|
- Who do you tell about your pain? Why?
- What do you do when someone comes to you with pain?
- What types of treatments do you use for your pain? Tell me about your beliefs that influence your use of treatment.
- What works best for you to treat your pain?
- What do you do when you get a headache? Toothache? Sprain or broken bone?
- Have you ever seen a doctor for pain? If yes, how do doctors ask you about your pain? What do they do for your pain?|
- What do you know about pain medications?
- Have you tried any medications for pain? How did they work? When do you take pain medication?
- Do you know the term “opioids?” If so, what do you know about opioids? Have you ever used them?
- Do you know the term “morphine?” If so, what do you know about opioids? Have you ever used them?
|Postoperative expectations and pain management||
- What do you expect the surgery to be like? Do you expect it to be painful?|
- What do you think postsurgical recovery will be like? Do you expect that it will be painful?
- How do you expect your pain to be treated after surgery?